Thursday, February 01, 2007

Welcome to my new associate Maria!!


I am so happy to let you know that Maria Anguera de Sojo is officially the associate photographer of Gulnara Studio. Maria is a long time friend and very talented documentary photographer. We met at the International School of Photography in 1993 where we were both full time students- Maria in the photojournalism program and me in the fine art photography.
Maria has a very unique eye capturing those sensual, intimate moments that makes a photograph really special. Besides shooting documentary projects, she has been photographing contemporary dance for many years, in both New York and in Europe, you can see that she uses the eye that she developed in both worlds during a wedding shoot. I am so excited to work with her, we have a lot of things in common and a great understanding and respect for each others work. Maria has done some wedding all through her career, all professional photographers have done that at some point, but she became really interested in doing it more seriously when she start seeing my pictures on almost daily bases, when I would ask her opinion during editing processes. She told me that she was very interested in exploring that context and asked me to let her come along as a second shooter to some of my weddings to see me work and explore what she could come up with in this kind of environment. She LOOOOVED it! She thinks it is so much fun to photograph real people in a place where everybody expects the photographer to be there instead of having to "work her way in" as in a documentary picture. She loves to be able to photograph all the emotions unfolding in front of her camera, she loved also the wedding rituals, the colors of the dresses, the flowers, the carefully set tables and foods. Of course, she loved specially to watch the couple, all those looks, the intimacy that they manage to create, always, despite the crowd they have around.
So she is joining me, I am very happy, and she is really excited. She will only be shooting, I will still do the post production on the weddings she does. I hope you like her work, you can see it here.

2 comments:

Aga said...

Maria is an excellent photographer and a great addition to your studio! She's a gem on the details and awesome on emotions... I can see how good this will work out!

Anonymous said...

oh, I am so happy that Maria is officially the associate photographer of Bloom Weddings. We love Maria, she did a great job shooting out wedding in October. I can't get over it Gulya:)
Bloom Weddings is the BEST.